Old Hollywood Glamour

Marilyn Monroe, Ginger Rodgers, Jane Russell, Jean Harlow and Maureen O'Hara (to name a few) are all ladies who I think posses this type of effortless elegance.

It's something which I think we don't see anymore. Even with people like Dita Von Teese and Bernie Dexter recreating, I don't think there will ever be icons like there was.

Anyway, onto my point. Season after season I see designers take inspiration from this era, changing it slightly or modernizing it, but always sticking to the same basic principle: Pencil skirts/dresses with or without corseting, fur, jewels.. essentially just glamour at it's best. I think it's great to see and in an idea world one day I will go out on a Saturday night and be surround by pencil skirts not mini skirts and fake tan.

Dolce and Gabbana Fall 2009 Ready to wear Collection has done exactly this. Taken 30's, 40's and 50's glamour and turned up the volume!

I love it.

It's power dressing, it's sexy and it's glamorous. There's also pencil trousers and bold prints all combined to give a feeling of luxury. With the 'hero' dress of the collection being a corsetted dress with an old La Traviata flyer pieced in.



As if this isn't long enough I need to throw in a picture of a dress which although could be called garish, I have fallen in love with ...



0 comments:

Post a Comment